Saturday, March 31, 2012

Xiang Kee Fried Carrot Cake & Fried Oyster

I have always been a fan of fried carrot cake. It was one of the Singaporean dishes that I would dream about when living in Sydney. In fact, after one particularly bad rendition of carrot cake courtesy of the food court at Market City in Sydney, I called Mum in Singapore to ask her for the recipe for carrot cake. I can say for certain that this is not an easy dish to make.

You have to grate the white daikon radish, poach it in hot water, mix in into a combination of rice and sweet potato flour and then steam it. The result is a springy pudding like cake which you cut into little pieces and fry with soy sauce, eggs and preserved turnip. A lot of work goes into making a good plate of fried carrot cake, so that is why, whenever I find a hawker who does it very well, I have to share it with the world!


Fried Carrot Cake: With Egg, Spring Onions & Preserved Turnip

A month ago, I had to make a quick stop at Chinatown Complex to buy veggies. I chanced upon Xiang Kee Fried Carrot Cake & Fried Oyster which is located next to the really famous ba chor mee stall (don't ask me which one). I ordered a plate of the "black" carrot cake which is essentially carrot cake fried with the dark caramel soy sauce. The sweet dark caramel sauce gave it a nice char and the savoury preserved turnip, great texture and contrast with the sweetness of the sauce. The carrot cake was still soft and pillowy and each tasty nugget is encased in fried egg. In my opinion, this carrot cake is the best in Singapore. It blows the competition out of the water. Forget about the rest in Bedok, Toa Payoh and etc.....just head to:

Xiang Kee Fried Carrot Cake & Fried Oyster
Blk 335 Smith Street
Chinatown Complex Food Centre
#02-24
Open: 9am-8pm

The hawker frying up the carrot cake is a really nice guy and it isn't crazy mad busy....yet. No long queues AND he is really polite and nice. So get to Xiang Kee before he stops making this delightful dish or before he gets so popular that you have to wait 30mins for a plate of fried carrot cake heaven.



No comments:

Post a Comment