Friday, April 8, 2011

French Toast for The Wok and Barrel

I took a long break but I am backkkkkkkkkk!

The Wok and Barrel is taking a longer time than I expected but it is actually giving me more time to work out the various menu items that I would like to put on the menu. Of course all fans of Madam Tan's Nasi Lemak will still get to enjoy my rich yummy Nasi Lemak rice together with my side dishes like Beef Rendang, Curry Chicken, 5 Spice Roast Pork, Otak Otak and Fish Curry but I will be adding some new dishes to my all day weekend brunch menu.

I have always loved the crispy french toast from Hong Kong, so today I set about getting the lovely crispy batter right. First I made some home made peanut butter, chunky peanut butter with no additives.

Homemade Chunky Peanut Butter

Then I set about making up the batter - a light eggy crispy batter that would hold the 2 slices of sandwich bread together.

Crispy Eggy Batter
For the purpose of this trial, I decided to use ordinary sandwich white bread but for The Wok and Barrel, I will be using an enriched white bread sliced thickly which I will stuff with bananas, nutella and peanut butter. Or any other stuffings that you may want - mango, peaches, pinepple? Tell me what you would like to have in your french toast.

Ok, coming back to the trial, I spread thickly on 1 slice of bread, rich chocolatey Nutella, and on the other, the homemade peanut butter. I dipped the nutella and peanut butter sandwich in the batter, and dropped it into the hot oil. After a minute of frying, I fished out the browned french toast and dusted icing sugar onto the hot fried bread.

French Toast with Nutella and Peanut Butter


French Toast at The Wok and Barrel
 The resulting French Toast is piping hot with molten nutella and peanut butter and perfect for brunch. I can't wait to start serving it to you!

No comments:

Post a Comment