Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Pepperoni Pizza @ Greenwood Ave

Another pizza post you might ask? Yes, we are that obsessed with pizza. This was a post Christmas gathering amongst friends and as we all love a good slice of pizza, this is where we ended up.

BH and I got there on time but spent about 20 minutes circling for a park in that housing estate. I feel for the residents of that estate with cruising cars passing their expensive houses, peering for a spot to fit in their cars.We finally managed to get a park about 600m away which was ok since it was a lovely cool night and allowed BH and I to have a nice romantic stroll before AND after dinner.

I cracked open the menu and to my joy, found a long long list of belgian beers. WHOOHOO! I set about trying new ones and that put me in an excellent mood for dinner. The rest of our party started arriving and we were suitably embarrassed when we kept peering over at the neighbouring table's dishes for inspiration. They had ordered an interesting mushroom dish but we couldn't figure which appetizer it was......the kind lady looked over to me and mouthed "it's the mushroom". I had to blush.

Just for the heck of it, we ordered the family sized pizza. It is 21 inches in diameter. It is a monster. We even had pictures taken of it, like moby dick. D obligingly posed next to it with her mouth wide open, like she was going to take a bite out of that massive pizza. Apart from the novelty factor of having such a humongous pizza, I would not recommend that you order the family sized pizza as the largeness of the pizza meant that it was cooked pretty unevenly. Some parts of it were obviously on hot spots in the oven and had been cooked down to a cracker like consistency as opposed to a light bready texture.


Ok, this just proves that we are pizza pigs because this 21 inch pizza wasn't enough (plus appetizers of mushrooms, chicken wings, calamari rings) and we ordered another 12 inch pizza. This pizza was much better than the 21 inch, so this is one of the rare occasions where size queen me will actually say, size doesn't matter! It had the lightness and the requisite cornicione. It had the big air bubbles in the crust where the extreme heat of the oven forces the moisture in the dough to expand quickly. Unfortunately, I still feel that the crust was quite bland and didn't have the multi dimensional taste that comes from doing a slow ferment in the fridge.

But then I am just being a food nazi. Overall a good pizza which I would rate 7.5/10. The mushroom was interesting - I would rate it a 8/10. The calamari were cooked well, they were tender and not overcooked but the batter was not crispy, I would rate it a 7/10.

ps. I apologise for the lack of pictures as I didn't bring my camera to dinner

No comments:

Post a Comment