Monday, December 13, 2010

Tai Hwa Bak Chor Mee @ Crawford Lane

I was in the neighbourhood to pick up my Makansutra Certificate for Madam Tan's Nasi Lemak, and peeked into the coffee shop to see if the famous noodle shop was open. They were so I joined the relatively short queue and placed my order for mee pok with chilli ($4).


Tai Hwa Bak Chor mee is supposed to be the creme de la creme of Bak Chor Mees and at $4 a portion, the serving was certainly hearty and very substantial. There was a generous serving of minced pork, lean pork and noodles, which made it difficult for me to finish the noodles.

I have not had this version of Bak Chor Mee since they moved from Marina Square to Crawford Lane. And I have to say, that I seem to remember it being better at Marina Square. The guy cooking it also seemed different from the slight chubbier and older guy at Marina Square (also less grumpy than Mr Marina Square)

This bak chor mee is good. But it didn't blow my mind. The pork elements were cooked to perfection but if I had to nitpick, the cook didn't rinse the starch from his noodles. He cooked them like an Italian nonna would do with pasta, he left the starchy residue to form an emulsion with the chilli, lard, soy and vinegar mixture. While that works with pasta, this made the sauce a little too starchy for my taste. However, having said that, the noodles were al dente and not soggy. But if I had to compare, I would say the Prince Edward Road Bestway Building Bak Chor Mee tastes better and overall delivers a better taste sensation than that of the Tai Hwa Bak Chor Mee at Crawford Lane. I would rate Tai Hwa a very solid 7.5/10. Not outstanding but a very good Bak Chor Mee.

No comments:

Post a Comment