Sunday, December 12, 2010

2 FAT MEN @ East Coast Road

With BH away for the weekend, I was a single girl hanging out with her buddies. And what does a single girl do? Why of course we play softball (ok, I played one game and then hurt my hand which put me out of action for the rest of the tournament), drink beer, eat and hang out with my buddies.

It was on Friday that D and I decided to have some beers and dinner at a local place that we both had heard quite a fair bit about. I had heard that they did an excellent burger as well as very very good thai food. Throw in the beers and of course I was there in a heartbeat.

As D and I have hearty appetites, we ordered the grilled pork neck, som tum, a burger (with cheese and bacon) and some new orleans chicken wings (errrr what are these? D and I couldn't help but ask). I started my beer imbibing with Phin and Matt's Ale.

A nice ale with a fruity fragrance of hops. It went well with the burger and the Thai food. I followed it up with a Le Chouffe which was delightful, somehow, the belgians just have my heart when it comes to beers. I finished with a Chimay. A nice end to the work week.

I have to say I was disappointed with the Thai food at 2 FAT MEN. The grilled pork neck was lacklustre and didn't have a lot of flavour beyond fish sauce and coriander. It wasn't really grilled either, so you didn't get the lovely char grill flavour essential when cooking meat. I was quite bland, pale and insipid. The som tum was ok, not great and didn't have enough peanuts nor dried little prawns. Both dishes lacked the big flavours that I have come to associate and love about Thai Food. I would rate both of them a 6/10.




The burger was better than the thai food. Maybe it is because they don't have to dumb down the western menu items that they seemed to do better than the Thai menu. The burger was juicy and well seasoned. My only beef with it was that the bun was obviously store bought and was flimsy and falling apart in my hand and the cheese was the stock standard plastic cheese slice from cheesedale. Not a lot of flavour. If I pay $1.50 for a slice of cheese, I expect a decent slice of cheddar on it. Not faux plastic cheese. I would rate the burger a 7.5/10.

1 comment: