Sunday, December 19, 2010

Sole Pomodoro Pizza @ Mackenzie Road

I love pizza and whenever I read of a new pizza place opening, especially one with a wood fired oven, I can't help but get excited and hungry. I think that it is great that Singapore is seeing so many great pizza places opening up but, I have to say that to date, I have not found one that really hits the spot.

So when Sole Pomodoro was getting a lot of online press, I casually mentioned it to BH hoping that my better half would agree to join me in evaluating this pizza joint. But BH has learnt her lesson and refuses to go to any pizza joints as she claims that they never meet the mark and she doesn't want to be there when I start tut tutting and expounding on how the crust should have been made and etc.

I did the next best thing and got my colleague M who is always game for a new culinary adventure to join me. We ordered the proscuitto and mushroom pizza and a calamari to start.



The calamari was fresh and cut into large meaty rings. However, it was marred by a hair fried together with the calamari. Gross. When the waitress brought it back to the kitchen hand, he removed the hair and wanted to send it back to me. Which of course the waitress remonstrated with him and got him to do a new order. I would like to mention that this waitress was very good at her job. Her name was Davy and asked me if I needed a refill on my wine without prompting from me. If I were the owners of Sole Pomodoro, I would give her a raise!

 The calamari were good sans hair but did not stay crispy for long. But overall, they were pretty good hot out of the fryer and quite tender, a 7/10.


I felt that the pizza was a let down. Whilst there was a wood fired oven, you did not get the light pizza with large holes in it. Perhaps as we were one of the first few customers, the oven was not hot enough. Also, the crust was lacking in flavour and did not have the light yet crunchy texture. 7/10.

No comments:

Post a Comment