Monday, October 4, 2010

Lao Fu Zi Char Kway Teow and Oyster Omelette @ Old Airport Road

As I was having lunch with my old friend C who lives in Tokyo on Saturday, BH and I gave our weekly hawker brekkie a miss. C, who loves his nosh as much as I do, is severely deprived of his hawker favourites and specifically requested that we eat local.

We headed to Old Airport Road Hawker Centre which has a great collection of hawker favourites, ranging from Kway Chap, Goreng Pisang, Wanton Mee, Char Kway Teow and etc. I had planned for being a total pig at lunch and had a relatively healthy breakfast of home made granola with greek yoghurt while C, had already indulged in a heavy hawker food breakfast. He made complaining noises when I returned with the oyster omelette, char kway teow and prawn noodles but actually happily tucked into the two most fattening dishes.

Albert Court Prawn Noodle Soup

Oyster Omelette

Lao Fu Zi Char Kway Teow

The Char Kway Teow was from the famous Lao Fu Zi. I have to say I was disappointed. There was little wok hei and very little flavour in the CKT. It was extremely plain and almost tasted like the fried noodles that you would get at your neighbourhood beehoon and noodle stall at $1 per plate (with luncheon meat and fishball). I love my CKT and since it is a high fat and carb dish, if it doesn't taste good, I won't bother finishing it. It is not even close to being in the same league of Zion Road nor Hill Street CKT. I would only rate it a 5.5/10.

The surprise find for me was the Oyster Omelette. This is a notoriously difficult dish to pull off and the guy did a decent job. The starchy bits were crispy enough and well flavoured and stood up to the strong flavours of the oysters. Often times, I would search out the oysters and leave the gray starchy bits behind. But not in this case, both C and I wiped the platter clean! The chilli was a delightful mix of spiciness and tartness. When you dipped the rich eggy oysters morsels into the dipping sauce, you got to experienced the whole gamut of textures and flavours. I thought it deserved a 7.5/10. Alas I didn't take note of the stall number or name.....but it is located next to the famous wanton mee stalls in the front of the hawker centre.

The Albert Court Prawn Noodles  were a HUGE disappointment. The stock was just sweet, as in dessert sweet, with little prawn or pork flavours infused into the stock. The prawns however were fresh and quite substantial for a $5 portion. However, it was rather tasteless, and I would traded the large prawns for a richer soup base. I would also only rate it a 5.5/10.

No comments:

Post a Comment