Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Aroy Thai at Funan Digital Mall

I love Thai Food. In fact BH and I do an annual visit to BKK just to eat. It is probably one of the few cuisines that I will pay for, Japanese food being the other. 

About 20 years ago, my parents and I discovered Aroy Thai along East Road. The food has remained consistently good and is good honest Thai food with strong flavours. Decades later, Aroy Thai still delivers home-style Thai dishes made with a lot of heart. If you are after authentic Thai food and don't have the time to travel to BKK, Aroy Thai is a safe bet.

I  picked up my camera (which I am having a great time playing with) from Peninsula Shopping Centre and together with C my friend, we headed to Aroy Thai for a delightful lunch. You will see the pictures which were taken with my new camera (of course I could not wait to use it).  

I have to admit that I am not terribly adventurous as I definitely belong to the "if it ain't broke don't fix it" school of thought. In fact when I dine at Aroy Thai, I don't even need the menu. I will invariably order the Pla Duk Foo (Cat Fish with Mango Salad), Fish Cakes, Olive Rice, Tom Yum Goong and Grilled Pork. However, since I was with C, I managed to try 2 new dishes which were very interesting despite both of them being salads (hahahaha).

One of them as shown below, was the lemongrass salad. This was C's suggestion and I have to say I will have to rethink my ordering at Aroy Thai now. This salad was made with finely chopped lemongrass, shallots, toasted grated coconut, cashews, fried small dried prawns which you heaped onto lettuce leaves, wrapped into a parcel and ate. The explosion of sweet, rich coconut, tangy and salty was just delightful. The piquant nature of this salad of course meant that you could eat many of those little parcels without feeling quite full. Very more-ish and I think I ate about 8 of those parcels.....poor C didn't get a chance to eat much of it.



Lemongrass Salad




Olive Rice

Basil Fried Pork


Wing Bean Salad

We also tried the Wing Bean Salad which was Wing Beans with a coconut cream dressing and some prawns. Again, an excellent choice and cut through the rich Olive Rice. It was the perfect complement to the Basil Fried Pork. I must have crunched my way through three quarters of that Wing Bean salad. The textural contrast of the Wing Beans and the strong flavours of the coconut cream dressing and grated coconut made this my favourite dish. I am definitely ordering this dish again!

I would rate Aroy Thai 8/10/. I love eating there and now, with C's input and suggestions, I will be back again very soon with BH to try new dishes!

No comments:

Post a Comment