Sunday, September 19, 2010

Weekend Breakfast at High Street Tai Hwa Bak Chor Mee


Remember how I said we would try to find a better Bak Chor Mee? Well BH and I decided to have Bak Chor Mee again on Saturday morning. I used to work at Bestway Building 7 years ago and remembered the Bak Chor Mee there to be really good. Unlike the Hill Street Tai Hwa Bak Chor Mee, you don't have to queue for 20 mins for your fix and parking is a breeze at the Bestway Building Carpark on a Saturday morning.

We both had the $4 portions of mee pok. It was the right mix of vinegar, lard, chilli and soy. And this uncle takes the time to work his magic. He refuses to be hurried and takes about 7mins to cook each bowl of Bak Chor Mee. He also rinses his noodles after cooking, thus removing the starchiness which is essential in pasta cooking but a no-no in traditional chinese noodles. The liver was cooked to perfection as was the lean pork. I personally found the portion of noodles just right but carb lovers with heart appetites might find the portion too small especially for $4. Especially those from the quantity over quality school of thought.

My only grouse would be that my noodles were a tad undercooked. I felt that it needed about 20 secs more.....but on the whole an excellent balance of all the flavours found in Bak Chor Mee: tangy, spicy, rich, porky, springy noodles. I would rate it a 9/10.

No comments:

Post a Comment