Saturday, September 11, 2010

The Roti Prata Paradox and Sin Ming Roti Prata



Weekend brekkie is always filled with possibilities. Today we decided to go for a carb laden, oily high calorie roti prata. I had read about Sin Ming Roti Prata online and decided to give it a try.

Most prata places in Singapore can't seem to get it right. Most of them have a really delicious light flakey prata only to ruin it with a terrible curry. Others have a divine curry only to serve a cold, rubbery prata that would be a complete waste of calories. I call it the Roti Prata Paradox. Much like The Café paradox (more on that later).

Ok, back to the roti prata at Sin Ming Roti Prata. This guy's prata is great! Delicious, light and not too oily. If I could only eat this prata with my own curry, I would be a happy camper. However, that is not the case and I had to eat this divine prata with the curry served. The problem with the curry? Is it watery, too spicy, tasteless or salty? 

It is too sweet. So sweet that one might think that you were eating a dessert. This curry was so sweet and bad, that it ruined that light crispy prata for me. I would have to rate it a 4/10. Yep, it is THAT bad. You may think I have unrealistically high expectations where curries are concerned, but let me tell you, I think that the fish curry at Jalan Kayu Roti Prata is delicious. Lemak, rich and spicy without being too overpowering. Alas, their pratas are fried ahead of time, and by the time you get to them, they are rubbery and tasteless. So can anyone tell me where I can get a great flakey hot prata served with a decent curry?

What is The Café paradox? Why is it that you can't seem to get a decent cup of coffee with your food? Or vice versa? Few places seem able to make a decent latte without making a big song and dance about it. You can only get good coffee if you go to small dedicated coffee bars which serve TERRIBLE food. Soggy sandwiches, stale cake or cold pizza slices. Likewise, cafés that have decent food can't seem to make a good cup of coffee. What's up guys? It's not rocket science, if you are a café, you are EXPECTED to provide good coffee and decent cafe fare (sandwiches, cake and pizza).

No comments:

Post a Comment