Monday, September 27, 2010

Mee Pok and Carrot Cake @ Bedok Interchange

Teo's Noodles @ Bedok Interchange Food Centre
Song Zhou Carrot Cake @ Bedok Interchange Food Centre
In what is becoming a weekly ritual which BH and I love, we spend Saturday mornings sampling the delights of Singaporean Hawker Food. On this Saturday, we had friends coming over for lunch AND dinner and I needed to get some supplies from the supermarket. So we killed two birds with one stone and had brekkie at Bedok Interchange and did a supermarket shop after that.

I queued up for the carrot cake from Song Zhou, which took about 15 mins, and ordered $3 worth of the dark carrot cake. I like the carrot cake from Song Zhou although he doesn't make his own carrot cake. The tastiness dish is solely reliant on his skills on frying the yummy morsels of carbohydrates in oil. What I like about it is, he takes the time to cut up the pieces of carrot cake into small enough pieces so that each little nugget is coated in that savoury mix of light soy sauce and dark sweet caramel sauce. AND he uses lots of eggs. So each mouthful of carrot cake is a delightful delish mix of eggy carrot cake bits. When eaten hot, it can't be beat. I would give it a 8/10. I have never tried the white carrot cake which I hear is the true test of a good carrot cake, so perhaps next time I will.

Before I stood in the queue for the carrot, I maximised my time by first ordering the Mee Pok from Teo's Noodles. There was a 20 min wait so by the time I got my carrot cake, my mee pok was ready! What I love about this stall is that the lady who takes the orders and manages the "front of house" is perhaps the NICEST, FRIENDLIEST Hawker I have ever met. And that includes my time as a hawker at Maxwell Food Centre. She was able to give me an accurate estimate as to how long the noodles would take, was friendly, polite and extremely personable. I love ordering from her! If there was the opposite of a Hawker Nazi, she would be the embodiment of that. She should get an award for being the "Friendliest Hawker in Singapore".

Now back to the noodles. They were not bad. But not mind blowing. The noodles were well cooked, al dente, and not starchy. The fish balls were ok, not fantastic though and rather run of the mill. The chilli was also ok and not great. So overall, the various components of the mee pok were ok but not outstanding. I would give it a 6/10. If you are at Bedok Interchange and would like a bowl of mee pok, I would suggest them but I wouldn't drive there for them. But then again if you didn't give them a try, you wouldn't get the great service from the front-of-house auntie and see her sunny bright smile!

1 comment:

  1. Teo's Noodles are yummy, I love ordering my food from her, the wait was quite worth it. They sell nasi lemak at night though :)

    ReplyDelete