Monday, September 6, 2010

House @ Barracks

A friend who is based in Shanghai returned for a flying visit and we all decided on tea at House. I have never been there so it was a great opportunity to try a new place at Dempsey.

I was kind of hungry so I decided to have a pasta dish, I had the Prawn Capellini (at least I think it was called that). It was pretty good, the pasta was al dente, and the cook uses a Asian style prawn stock to infuse extra flavour into the pasta. I also asked for more spiciness and they were very accommodating to drop some chilli padi into the pasta. Overall, a good effort, and I finished all of the pasta on my plate. I would rate it 8/10.

My friends also ordered the skinny pizza. Maybe I am a pizza purist but I don't understand the concept of the skinny pizza. They had the veggie skinny pizza and it was a variety of grilled veggies on a cracker like crust. But my problem with this pizza was twofold. Not only was it vegetarian, (my friends know me as being rabidly carnivorous) but they loaded so many grilled veggies on the cracker crust, that by the time they were halfway through the pizza, the cracker crust had become very soggy and floppy. My other beef was also the liberal use of peppers. I absolutely LOATHE peppers, whether they be red, green or yellow. It looked so unappetizing, I decided to skip the skinny pizza completely.

My friend SA, wanted the Tiffin punch which is a signature cocktail at House. I normally don't do cocktails (being a beer, whiskey, champagne, wine kinda girl) but she is a very persuasive sales person, so we shared the punch which serves 4. It was surprisingly good and I would recommend it to someone who wants a refreshing afternoon or brunch cocktail to chase that hangover away.

My only grouse (besides the skinny pizza aka not a real pizza) was that I didn't see that they serve two of my favourite beers, Triple Karmeliet and Kwak, because they didn't list it on the alcoholic menu but only wrote it on the specials menu board (which I didn't see as my back was facing it).

No comments:

Post a Comment